A new feature introduced in version 4.0 of openDCIM is the ability for users to share their templates and images of systems with other users throughout the world and in a somewhat anonymous fashion. (Only the administrator of the repository knows who is submitting which templates, so if XYZ Corp wants to help, but not publicly acknowledge that they are helping with openDCIM, that information will remain private)
In version 4.3 and later, the synchronization was moved to an interactive user interface that is accessed by SiteAdmins off of the main menu bar. There are two types of Synchronization - Manufacturers, and Templates. In order to synchronize any templates, you must have already reconciled your Manufacturer IDs (only the ones you want to pull from the repository). We have disabled the old batch format file that came with the 4.0 distribution, as people were setting cron jobs to check every 5 minutes. The only way to synchronize, now, is through the UI.
- The server running openDCIM does not need an active internet connection, but the client (browser) performing the sync does - at minimum, it must be allowed to connect via SSL/HTTPS (port 443) to repository.opendcim.org.
- In order to share your templates to the repository, you must obtain an API Key from a repository administrator (best mechanism is to request via email to email@example.com). If you are only going to pull templates, don't ask for a key because you don't need it, and asking for one simply shows me that you can't follow instructions.
- All templates are currently in English units of measurement but will automatically convert to metric when downloaded to your installation if that is your configuration setting.
- All pictures must be free of any restriction from sharing
- Templates must be for a base model with no expansion cards installed
Since this is an interactive process, you can do it as often as you like.